Sunday, February 24, 2008

Flora's quilt

I have just spent the weekend in Nelson, at a Playcentre promotions team meeting. A side benefit of being away on 'business' was that I got to visit my friends there for dinner one night.

This was rather serendipitous timing, as Flora has had a significant birthday (one with a '0' on the end) a few days ago. She wasn't planning a party but this was a good opportunity to wish her many happy returns. (Just why you'd want to turn 40 many times over I don't know....)

Anyway, I made this quilt for her.

I bought the fabric with the little pictures of veges and herbs on it last year, thinking I would make something like this for Nick's birthday. (Nick is a serious foodie.) But he didn't have a party either (slack lot really!), so he missed out. This way he gets to look at the quilt too, so not all lost.

I cut out the motifs ('liberated' them, in quilter parlance), bordered each one, and then had the puzzle of fitting the odd sized blocks back together. Once I found a place to start it came together fairly quickly. I made the inner border like that because it was off balance visually before I did.

Flora was delighted!
Happy Birthday Flora.

No comments: