Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why I teach toddlers.

I'm quickly re-reading John Holt's "How Children learn", looking for specific material to build my evaluative framework for my essay, and I want to share a quote which neatly sums up why I'm in the 'toddler teaching' business.

"A friend said to me after reading this book, 'I always was very fond of little children, especially my own. But until now I could never have imagined that they might be interesting.'
They interest me now even more than when I wrote this book. Watching babies and children explore and make sense of the world around them is for me one of the most exciting things in the world. I have watched them and been with them at many times and places, and I find not just more pleasure but much more food for serious thought in what they say and do than in the sayings and doings of a great many older people. Not to like little children, or find them interesting and enjoy their company, is no crime. But it is surely a great misfortune, and a great loss, like having no legs or being deaf or blind."

No comments: