Saturday, October 6, 2007

Cafe Review

I managed two cafes yesterday.

Elanor had a voucher for coffee and a breakfast bagel off the Wholely Bagels breakfast menu, from her netball team. (I think each child on the team got a voucher.) We had to find a time to use the voucher, and we agreed that she would have the bagel, and I would drink the coffee for her, as she doesn't like coffee much.

The shop is on Willis St, though they have 4 other locations. We hadn't been there before, and once we found out how it 'worked', Elanor chose a cream cheese, honey, walnut and raisin bagel, and I got a latte. (Sophie was with us, and had a fruit bagel, toasted, to keep us company).

The coffee was very good indeed, which is enough for me to recommend the place. An added bonus was that Elanor, who is a bit fussy about things she hasn't tried before, enjoyed both her bagel and Sophie's (they went halves). At $5 for the coffee/bagel breakfast combo I would recommend the place on price too. The breakfast combo is available before 11am. (Standard latte is $3.20.)

After that time the bagels seem to be more expensive ($5.90 or so), so a bit expensive to take kids. Though they have a kids selection which is cheaper.

My other cafe was in the afternoon, when I went with friends to the Empire theatre (in Island Bay). I hadn't been there before, as I'Bay isn't my usual stamping ground. But I do approve of coffee places in suburbs (Brooklyn could do with a better one).

The cafe is at the front of the theatre, and seems very nice. I had a moccachino, which was quite acceptable, and an average price at $3.50. Where this cafe beats the Brooklyn cinema cafe is that it looks out on the street and has much better light for it. I'd have to try a straight coffee to be sure of the quality, but I don't want to sound dismissive. I'd go to the place again.

No comments: