Monday, January 21, 2008

Imagine swimming in the harbour!

(Actually, better not to imagine too much.....!)

But, yesterday it was so hot (and we'd been invited to a beach BBQ by friends) that I swam in the harbour for possibly the very first time.

I'm a bit of a wuss as regards getting into cold water. We have swum every day at Mt Maunganui and Rotorua lakes since my last post (not Lk Rotorua itself), but I have always only paddled at the beaches round here, due to the Antarctic currents that tend to swirl round te Upuko o te Ika.

But, on a very hot day round about 6pm, the water at Hataitai Beach was lovely.

One acquaintance I met there says she doesn't put her head under (just in case), and another lady swimming recommended sandals (rocky bottom might have glass....). But the friends who invited us for the BBQ have swum there often for years with no mis-haps. So it must be all right.

The picture is from Google Images. We swam to the left of the changing sheds.

No comments: