Thursday, February 28, 2008

two new masters papers

This week I have started two new masters papers. The first is Curriculum and Assessment, which is a first trimester course. The second, this afternoon, is Research Methods, a full year paper.

So that, in a nutshell, is what I will be grappling with this year. Curriculum, Assessment (yes, capital 'A'!!) and Research Methods.

First things first: the C&A paper has a lecturer I had last year, he has a very clear style (to me), gives good workshops, I know how to write the essays he likes to receive, and the assessments are 1500 words and 3000 words respectively. All good. (Except that they're due in April and May. Hmmm.)

So I am thinking about curriculum.

Here's a question for any teacher-types: What is a Curriculum? Well, I think it is the sum of knowledge (however that is defined) which is to be dispensed in a formal educational setting. Like a school. Or an EC centre. Or family childcare....?

Well yes, but family childcare is supposed to be like a home - and there isn't a curriculum for the learning which is dispensed in an informal setting like a home. (Despite the fact that all children spend most of their time in homes and communities - informal settings - and I can guarantee that they do most of their learning and 'knowledge gaining' in those settings.)

So we have a grey area. This is, of course, what makes study fun. This means there is room for more information, argument, opinion or even political determinism.

Tomorrow.... Assessment!

No comments: