Saturday, June 21, 2008

Blocks Workshop

Well, I've been busy all day today.

It was the day of the Rainbow in my Head workshop day, which is run in Wellington every two years. Over 700 people turn up for a keynote speaker and a choice of about 75 workshop. (They get three choices over the day.)

I bet you'll never guess what the workshop I ran was on.

Oh yes, you're right - Block Play!

The workshop was in the after-lunch slot, and had 23 participants, which is many more than I would usually have, so a wee conceptual challenge. However, it turned out very well indeed.

I invited the participants to choose some blocks at the start (some of the smaller ones), and build as we were talking. Then, if they were tired and tuned out they would get something out of it anyway.

In the second part I got them in groups of 3 and they built large structures, inspired by photos of both commonplace and crazy architecture which I had got from various sources.

(I suppose you could say that something like the Beehive is both commonplace (around here, anyway) and crazy...)

At a couple of points I had them reflecting on the process, and all sorts of discussion about providing for children's learning in centres all through.

Anyway, it all went very well, and I sold a few books into the bargain.

I didn't get to any other workshops myself, because (you'll never believe this...) I was sell at the Publications stand!

No comments: