Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Playcentre Conference

Well, it has been a busy weekend. We have had Playcentre Conference from Thursday afternoon to lunch on Sunday, in Hamilton.

It's always great fun going to these events, as it's so good to catch up with people who have become old friends. I arrived on a shuttle from the airport with several other delegates just before tea on Thursday, so everyone was grouping in the bar and lining up for the buffet meal, and there were old friends wherever I turned.

Quite a lot of significant work was done during the weekend.

  • The Minister of Education opened the conference, and she was grilled on her governments support for parent-led education. Actually, she did a good job of 'speaking to her audience'.
  • There were a number of really excellent speakers, including Professor Winiata, who is a well known academic and also the President of the Maori Party, Haydn Olsen, speaking on resolving conflict, and Dr Sally Peters, speaking on some research she is involved with in Canterbury Association.
  • (I was pleased to meet Sally Peters, as I have been referencing her work in my writing over the past year and a half.)
  • I launched my new book - Making Music Together.
  • We had a good range of workshops. I presented one, on my research into transition to school.
  • Election of officers for the Federation - oh yes, I became the Vice President.
  • Really good Saturday night entertainment - a re-make of 'It's in the Bag', with lollies instead of money, and Kiwiana themed questions and prizes. ("I'll give you 3 lollies or the bag.... a handful of lollies or the bag.... ) (Actually, everyone got the bag, even if they scored a few lollies.)
  • (I won a picnic carry bag and set.)
  • A fantastic closing performance from a Maori dance/drama group.

No comments: