Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ancient study

We have been going through some of the boxes stored in the roof space (and throwing most of the junk out!), and I came across a file box of notes from my high school and university (the first time!) days.

I've just been reading through some of them. Talk about ancient history! It's like an archeological dig.

There are maths and English papers from the 6th form, so I have put a couple aside to show Rowena and Katie. It's hard to believe the crappy cyclo-styled notes/handouts we were supposed to read.

And I also found some music papers from first year university, back in 1986. We wrote essays by hand (joined-up writing too!), in single spacing, with cut out bits of stave paper for the music examples inserted into the text. With selotape! I don't much like reading hand writing (except for personal letters, mum!) as it takes twice as long. So I'm jolly glad I wasn't a tutor who had to mark my essays.

(Rowena is doing 5th form music, and her compositions are written out in print quality using a basic music manuscript computer program - so you can actually read the music!)

Oh the joys of word processors and printers. It doesn't necessarily make your ideas any better. But at least you can read them without struggling over the hand writing.

No comments: