Friday, July 3, 2009

I'm on Facebook

A couple of weeks ago I joined Facebook. This was mostly to find out what it is all about, and to see what Katie and Rowena do on it. But I have found it very interesting, and it can take up a bit of time.

The most important thing is to find some people you know who already have Facebook pages. You do this by searching their names or e-mail addresses. Once you find one person, you can look through their list of 'friends', and if you know anyone on their list, you can send a 'friend request' to that person as well.

What seems to work is to find a gregarious person from each of the different groups of people you have in your life (workmates, uni, interest groups, etc).

On Facebook I have created a 'fan page' - Eat More Toast. Basically as a way to find out how to create fan pages! I have also just started a farm in 'Farm Town', a game where you grow and sell crops and achieve higher levels which allow you to do more stuff. (I'm not really into fast paced games.)

Is it useful? Well, I've had enquiries about my books from a Facebook contact (I sent them off to the Playcentre Shop), and gave professional development on an issue to someone from my teacher training course. So, yes, it can be useful to be in contact with people.

Is it entertaining? Mostly if people are popping on now and then and updating their status, or giving a brief comment on what they are doing. There are a million games and quizzes you can do, but after the first dozen or so they are all a bit lame, so I don't bother any more. It's more interesting people's real life, not their fantasy ones.

Anyway, overall, highly recommended.

No comments: